Throughout the US, termites cause more than $2.5 billion of damage to homeowners. This scary information surely got you thinking about what to do if you find termites in your home. Thankfully, there are many things you can do to fight these unwanted pests!
The first thing is to identify and detect these critters in your home. Here are a few termite signs to look for.
The Most Common Signs of Termites in a Home
There are many signs to look for if you suspect you have a termite infestation in your house. We’ll also go over how to fight termites, but first of all, here’s what to look for if you think you have termites:
- One of the most common signs of termites in a home is that the floor appears to have water damage even though you’re certain that no water was spilled there. These so-called blisters appear if you have subterranean termites. You’ll know that you have this type of termites by their cream-color. These types of pests can go undetected for a very long time, so having pest control check your home regularly is of the utmost importance.
- Hollow sounding timber is also one of the termites signs because they eat away the inner parts of wood, leaving a soft, hollow shell. This means that they’ve already caused significant damage to the building structure and it’s important to have professional pest control do a checkup of the premises.
- You can be sure you have a termite infestation if you find indisputable evidence of their presence such as termite droppings or discarded wings. The discarded wings can be found on different entry points such as near windows and doors but also outside near the foundations.
- If you can hear clicking sounds from your walls, it’s a pretty clear sign that something is munching through your woodwork. Termites are pretty loud eaters and it’s a specific sound coming from a place where no sound should be heard.
- When you notice structural damage in your floors, doors, windows, or any other type of woodwork, there’s a pretty good chance that the damage was caused by termites. The damage caused by termites can include cracks on walls, sticking doors and windows, and other damage made on woodwork.
How to Fight Termites Most Commonly Found in the US
Although there are thousands of species of termites, there are only a few that make the most damage to US homeowners. When it comes to the question of how to fight termites, the best thing you can do is to hire a professional, but you can do a couple of things as well to prevent them from appearing in your home. Let’s go over a few types of termites first:
- Subterranean termites – These critters can be found in every US state except Alaska and their colonies can get pretty huge with up to 2 million single units. They’re also considered the most destructive type of termites, especially because people don’t discover the infestation until it’s too late.
- Formosan termites – Pale-yellowish critters, considered the most ferocious termites out there. They’re pretty difficult to get rid of and they cause the most damage to structures they infest. If you’re not sure what to do if you find termites of this type, it’s best to contact a professional!
- Drywood termites – not as aggressive as the first two types of termites we mentioned, but still a common guest in homes located in the southern parts of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, and a couple of other states in the US. This type of pests most commonly choose wooden structures, frames, flooring, and furniture to nibble on. They’re pretty easy to spot but are a little bit trickier to exterminate because they can form several colonies within one home!
- Dampwood termites – a type of termites commonly found in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. They’re attracted to damp wood so they’re not commonly found inside households, but rather on roofs with leaks so make sure your roof is leak-free. They’re also a bit larger than other types of termites.
What to Do if You Find Termites and How to Get Rid of Them?
Now that we’ve answered the question of how to know if you have termites and the most common types of termites, we’re ready to go over the things you can do to get rid of the termites harassing you and your loved ones.
The first thing to do is to make sure what kind of termites you have. We’ve covered the signs of termites in home and the types of termites usually found in the US. All you need to do is use the information you have and make sure which type of pests you’re dealing with.
Try to find their nesting location. This will significantly improve the chances of getting rid of them. You’ll need to check your entire house because some termite species create several colonies throughout the premises. Create a checklist and don’t forget to check the roof, the basement, and your foundations as well.
While you’re checking your home for termites signs, you can also take a closer look and search for possible entry points. It can also be a new piece of furniture you just bought that was infested with termites. If you found out that a piece of furniture is the entry point, take it outside and leave it in the sunlight for a couple of days if possible, and try to use treatment for termites yourself. Sometimes, this can solve your pest problem completely, but only if you detect the termites in time. If the infestation spreads throughout the house, you’ll probably need to hire professional pest control services.
Once your problem is solved, don’t get too relaxed because termites can come back after some time. If you’ve hired a pest control professional to do the work for you, it’s best to work with them and take all the measures possible to prevent any further infestations. This means finding the entry point, using pest repellents regularly, sealing cracks in the foundation, around electrical wires and pipes, and using screen doors and windows.
Termites Can Cause Irreparable Damage to Your Home
Termites can cause incredible damage to any home they infest. That’s why it’s very important to regularly check your home for possible infestation. If you’re not sure which signs to look for, you can always hire professionals such as My Guy Pest Control Solutions who will do all the checks needed to keep your home pest-free throughout the year!
How do you keep your home pest-free? We’d love to hear your opinions about pest control! You can also share this post with friends and family over social media!